Thursday, September 11, 2014

Frugal Meals: How I Eat For $1.50 A Day


Growing up in a thrifty family, I've never been one to spend money unnecessarily. I clip coupons, read flyers, only ever buy things on sale, and take pride in scoring clearance deals. One thing I hate to spend money on is prepared food; I know I can usually make the same meals at home for quite a bit less. I always pack along my own meals for work and trips. It's not only cheaper, but often more convenient. That being said, I do enjoy trying interesting restaurants and coffee shops, but reserve this for occasions when I'm out with friends.

On average, my meals cost around $1.50 a day. Some days they cost a bit less; other days (particularly when I have meat) they're a bit more. I'm not compromising on eating a healthy, balanced diet -- I'm just shopping carefully and buying every single item on sale or on clearance. Here's a breakdown of what I ate yesterday:






FOOD
SALE PRICE
COST
Breakfast
oats (0.5 c = 40 g)
$0.17 per 100 g
$0.07
2% milk (1 c)
$4.59 per 4 L
$0.29
peanut butter (1 tbsp)
$2.99 per 1 kg
$0.04
black coffee (5 g)
$6.99 per 900 g
$0.04
Lunch
whole wheat bread (2 slices)
$0.94 per 20 slices
$0.09
peanut butter (3 tbsp)
$2.99 per 1 kg
$0.12
apple
$0.60 per 1 lb
$0.25
Dinner


white rice (1/4 c raw)
$14.99 per 10 kg
$0.02
lentils (100 g raw)
$0.44 per 1 lb
$0.10
sriracha (2 tsp)
$2.48 per 158 tsp
$0.03
broccoli (150 g)
$0.99 per 1 lb
$0.33
Snack
graham crakers (2 = 14 g)
$1.99 per 400 g
$0.07
earl grey tea
$4.99 per 100 tea bags
$0.05
TOTAL COST
$1.50

I have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch every work day. It's the cheapest (only $0.21) and most convenient (quick to prepare, doesn't require refrigeration, and quick to eat) lunch around! Fortunately my stalwart affection for peanut butter keeps me enjoying these sandwiches...every weekday for three months and counting.

Below is a MyFitnessPal table (see, it's useful on occasion!) with the nutritional information for my meals yesterday. I didn't realize I'd only consumed 1500 Calories yesterday as I didn't feel hungry (probably because I spent my entire 9-hour work day sitting at a computer and then skipped exercising...oops). Anyhow, I'm glad that I did consume 63 g of protein and at least one fresh fruit and vegetable.

Eating well doesn't have to be expensive. If you're on a budget, I suggest shopping as frugally as possible (forget organic and farmers' market produce; head to the cheapest grocery store and look for some deals!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...