Monday, October 27, 2014

Kitchen Shortcuts: Cooking with the Microwave & George Foreman Grill

I stocked up on potatoes a few weeks ago (they were on sale for 5 lb for $0.99!) and have roasted/baked, boiled, mashed, and pan-fried my way through 10 lb of them. Today I was craving hashbrowns and because I'm lazy to try something different, I decided to make them in the microwave. I've only microwaved potatoes on two prior occasions: whole and as chips. Unfortunately both were failures, so I was leery to give it another go. ...But third time's a charm -- these hashbrowns taste great! I "fried" an egg on my George Foreman grill to go with them and dinner was ready a whole six minutes later.

I started by washing/scrubbing two potatoes and slicing them into cubes.
I placed the potato cubes in a glass dish and microwaved them for six minutes.
While they were microwaving, I propped up the front two legs of my George Foreman grill with its overturned drip tray (to create a flat surface), plugged it in, and broke an egg on it. I usually hold the grill lid partway down for a minute or two to help the top of the egg to cook, but don't set it all the way down as I like my eggs to be sunny side up and a little runny. Eggs cook quickly on the George Foreman so I've learned to keep a close eye on things to avoid well-done yolks!
When the microwaved beeped, I tossed the fried egg on top of the hashbrowns, added some ketchup and ranch dressing (my favourite potato topping) and sat down to my (very lazy) dinner. It felt like a diner meal to me -- you know, red vinyl seats, checkered floor style -- just basic, satisfying food.
I think microwaving is a great way to cook potatoes. It dries them on the outside, producing a similar texture to roasting or baking, without the time, electricity consumption, oil, and hassle! I also frequently use my George Foreman grill to fry eggs, as it is super quick, involves no clean up, and requires no oil.

What cooking shortcuts do you take?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...