Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Sunday Routine

Not studying or going to a part-time job on weekends means that I'm finding other ways to occupy my time (assuming I'm not on call). I've signed up for Mandarin class on Saturday mornings, which gives the weekends a productive start. Saturday afternoons I often spend with a good book and a walk outdoors.
university of alberta edmonton
yesterday's perfect autumn walk on the university campus
Come Sunday, it's time to get organized for the week ahead. While I sleep in until 7:30 am on Saturdays, on Sundays I make sure I get up before 6:30 am...because otherwise I'll pay for it with insomnia on Sunday night.
edmonton alberta canada sunrise
the reward for getting up early this morning
I always like to get cleaning out of the way first thing on Sunday (because as the day proceeds I get less motivated to do it). I clean the bathroom, tidy the house, sweep, vacuum, wipe down surfaces (so dusty here!), and take out the trash. Meanwhile, I have the laundry going.
shark navigator lift away vacuum canadian tire
cleaning away...
After cleaning I sit down to relax with coffee and breakfast. As I'm usually out of the house before dawn on weekdays, it's really nice to enjoy the morning light on weekends. I check my email, read the news, peruse blogs, and often write a blog post.
lazy weekend breakfast
When the stores open, around 9 or 10 am, I head out to get groceries. I like to get errands out the way early in the day. I might go to the mall or check out a farmers' market or park while I'm out in my car.
h&w produce edmonton
grocery shopping

st albert farmers market alberta
stopping by a farmers' market
I get home, have lunch, and spend a couple of hours relaxing. I get in some physical activity, either on the elliptical or walking outdoors (and hopefully ice skating soon -- there's a rink near my house!). Sometimes I bake something.
making use of the George Foreman grill

elliptical
Sunday baking -- I usually freeze cookies and take them out to pack along for call shifts :)
In the late afternoon I start thinking about food prep. As I get home pretty hungry on weekdays, I try to prepare dinners in advance so that I don't have to cook much when I get home late during the week. Because I have carrots and potatoes on hand, I'm planning to make a big pot of soup today.
potato, carrot, lentil, onion, garlic, tomato soup
I spend Sunday evening getting organized for work -- doing some reading and looking over the electronic medical records of the patients on our ward, to familiarize myself with anything that has changed over the weekend.
dessert smoothie while catching up on work
I try to get to sleep early on Sundays to ensure a well-rested start on Monday!

So that's it -- a very low key weekend :) How do you spend your weekends?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...