Friday, February 6, 2015

Weekend Review: New Schedule, Bua Thai, & Oatmeal Cookies

Today is my final day of general internal medicine! I've enjoyed the four weeks much more than I did my other internal medicine rotation -- an awesome team and wonderful staff physician (not to mention an unusually light patient load!) have made all the difference. I'm glad to have the weekend off before starting my next rotation, emergency medicine at another hospital, on Monday. Here are some things that were great about the past week:





  1. planning -- I'm always secretly excited to receive my new block schedule and plan out my next four weeks! The next month consists of shift work which I'm actually really looking forward to, as hours are capped at 8.5 per day and I'll have some nice stretches of days off between shifts!
    medicine planner
  2. The Burg & Bua Thai -- I had a couple of good meals with great company this week. On Monday we had a residents' dinner with our program's CaRMS interview candidates at The Burg, a nice downtown pub. My too-tall burger was delicious (though messy!), the yam fries were the best I've had, and the local beer was great (no food photos though, as I didn't want to scare off any interview candidates by being that person). Yesterday my preceptor kindly took our team to Bua Thai for lunch, where I had the tasty Panang beef curry with coconut rice and spring rolls (I've got nothing to hide with this group, so here's a photo).
    bua thai edmonton panang curry
  3. snow -- We've had around 15 cm of powdery white snow fall in the past day, which, despite being a bit of a hassle to drive in, has been nice to look at!
    elm edmonton
  4. kindness -- I appreciated that someone posted this quote in one of the washrooms on the ward, though I'm happy to say that pretty much everyone I've worked with on this rotation has been so wonderful with patients. My staff physician in particular has such good rapport with and respect for both patients and other staff, which is important to model to residents and students.
    doctor quote
  5. oatmeal cookies -- I made oatmeal cookies for the first time this week and would venture to say that their cinnamony chewiness put them on par with my favourite chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (which is the highest compliment I could give to a cookie).
    cinnamon oatmeal cookies recipe
  6. medicine grand rounds -- We had an interesting grand rounds presentation this week on M&M -- made even better by a cream cheese cinnamon bun and fruit.
What did you enjoy in the past week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...