Wednesday, June 17, 2015

2-Minute Journal

Today is one of those days when I've gotten home and have not been able to stop thinking (/worrying) about some of the patients I saw in clinic. So since I'm doing it anyways, why not reflect a little more formally on my day (I'm trying to do this more regularly!):

A break between patients and a discovery of DQ dilly bars in the freezer meant an impromptu resident ice cream break. I kind of love this clinic.

I registered for the USMLE Step 2 CS (and even got the date I'd been hoping for) -- goin' to Houston! I probably shouldn't feel this accomplished for only having registered...

I think (hope) that I did a reasonably good job of helping a family to clarify their understanding of a recent cancer diagnosis. Understandably they had plenty of questions surrounding the diagnosis, prognosis, further treatment options, goals of care, and end-of-life care; so I did my best to go over whatever I could with them. I think that the most important thing in such an overwhelming situation is to leave the patient with a clear plan moving forward, which I tried to do quite explicitly (I tend to list things off, like: 1) pain meds, 2) CT, 3) blood work, 4) follow-up appointment date). And remember to always ask again at the end of the visit if they have any questions!

First, I could have not slept through my alarm(s!)...then, I could have read the news and known that downtown was closed and not driven straight into gridlock...and not have been 30 minutes late for clinic. Fortunately my staff is forgiving (honestly, she is probably the sweetest family doctor I've ever met!).

Today's essentially over, so let's go with tomorrow: I'll actually wake up on time and get a bit of studying in before leaving the house!


I'll try to do these little reflections more often -- feel free to join me :)

2 comments:

  1. Let me know if you want to tag team a link up for these 2 minute journal entries :) I have inlinkz and I can share code.

    Love love love your blog.
    So glad I found u on Insta. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...