Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Recipe: Strawberry Spinach Salad

strawberry spinach salad recipe
Confession: I can only make two potluck-worthy salads -- spinach salad and broccoli salad. I always feel a little lazy bringing the spinach one to a potluck because it's the least-effortful salad ever, but people seem to like it and it doesn't look half bad. I'm sure lots of people have their own favourite spinach salad recipes; the recipe I use is based on the ultra popular Tozunuf one from AllRecipes.com. I tend to substitute whatever fruit I have on hand -- peaches, mango, what have you. Here's the recipe (which incidentally was the subject of my first ever post, over three years ago on Tumblr!):
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1 tbsp onion (minced or onion powder)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (I actually use a bit less, just filling the 1/4 cup 2/3 of the way)
  • 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1 bunch spinach (I usually use one 10-oz/283-g package of pre-washed spinach)
  • strawberries (1 lb or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1/4 cup almond slivers
There are really only two steps. The first is mixing the sugar, paprika, sesame seeds, onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and worcestershire sauce in a large salad bowl.
strawberry spinach salad recipe
And the second is adding the spinach, strawberries, and almond slivers.
strawberry spinach salad recipe
If I am bringing the salad to a potluck, I wait until I get there to toss the leaves in the dressing (otherwise, they start to get a li'l soggy).
strawberry spinach salad recipe
And that's it! A super easy summery salad that is a surprisingly delicious mix of tart and sweet.

If you have a recipe to recommend, I'd love to expand my potluck salad repertoire :)

2 comments:

  1. Cool recipe! Will have to try! :)
    I have never been to a potluck but I think I would bring the Greek salad! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looove Greek salad! But for some reason have never made my own -- will have to change that :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...