Thursday, February 4, 2016

Back to Blogging

During this long (and rather unintentional) blogging break I've realized that writing about my life inspires me to live it more intentionally. That sounds froofy, but I think it's true -- I get out to do/photograph/reflect on things more than I otherwise would, when I'm planning to post on them. And, as I realized a few days ago when looking through my blog for photos to flesh out a presentation, it's nice to have a record to look back on at a later time.

So back to blogging it is!

I tumbled out of a very long vacation into the middle of a new rotation, so the past few weeks have been full of both catching up on old things and starting new ones. A highlight this week was meeting applicants for our residency program (a.k.a. CaRMS interviews). Spending a day talking up our program definitely (re)convinced me (and hopefully a few of the applicants) that our program is pretty wonderful. I think the whole program's on a bit of a post-CaRMS high (or maybe it's just a sugar high from all the candy we'd bought to impress the applicants). Either way, our morale is disproportionate to the amount of work we've got hanging over us (CARO abstract deadline in 2 weeks!).

One reason I'd been putting off posting is I felt I couldn't move on until I posted all the posts I'd drafted on my Southeast Asia vacation. I think I've missed the boat on that though, so I'll save them for my personal blog and just leave a few photos here -- it really was a wonderful time!
penang armenian street
heritage shophouses in George Town, Penang, Malaysia
penang asam laksa
koey teow th'ng and asam laksa -- hawker fare, Penang, Malaysia 
chowrasta market
Chowrasta Market, Penang, Malaysia
stone chairs batak houses
Batak-style houses on Samosir Island, Lake Toba, Sumatra, Indonesia 
parapat ferry
arriving by ferry at Parapat, Lake Toba, Sumatra
mt sibayak hike
hiking up Mt Sibayak, Berastagi, Sumatra
mt sibayak vents
sulphur vents at the caldera of Mt Sibayak 
berastagi fruit market
huge fruit market, Berastagi, Sumatra 
inwa horse cart
travelling by horse cart in Inwa, an ancient capital near Mandalay, Myanmar
yadana hsimi pagoda
ruins of the Yadana Hsimi Pagodas, Inwa, Myanmar
mandalay food
a typical Burmese dinner, Mandalay, Myanmar
u bein bridge sunset
sunset from U Bein Bridge, Amarapura, Myanmar
u bein bridge monks
U Bein Bridge -- the oldest (1850) and longest (1.2 km) teak bridge in the world -- Amarapura, Myanmar 
carving mandalay
woodworking in Mandalay, Myanmar 
kuthodaw biggest book
Kuthodaw Pagoda (1859), containing the "world's biggest book" -- 729 marble slabs inscribed with Buddhist scripture; Mandalay, Myanmar 
shwenandaw monastery
teak carvings on the ridgelines of Shwenandaw Monastery (1880), Mandalay, Myanmar
settaway paya
Settaway Paya (1811), overlooking the Irrawaddy River, Mingun, Myanmar
mingun pahtodawgyi
Mingun Pahtodawgyi (1790), a massive uncompleted stupa damaged during an earthquake, Mingun, Myanmar 
hsinbyume pagoda
Hsinbyume Pagoda (1816), Mingun, Myanmar 
manisanda hotel bagan
balloons and sunrise during breakfast on the Manisanda Hotel roof, Bagan, Myanmar
sulamani temple
Sulamani Temple (1183), Bagan, Myanmar 
buddha bagan
one of many buddhas, Bagan, Myanmar
shwesandaw pagoda
view from atop Shwesandaw Pagoda (1057), Bagan, Myanmar
inle lake fishermen
fisherman on Inle Lake, Myanmar 
inn thein inle lake
boats docked at Inn Thein, Inle Lake, Myanmar
nyaung ohak
Nyaung Ohak red brick stupa ruins, Inn Thein, Inle Lake, Myanmar
inn thein
Nyaung Ohak red brick stupa ruins, Inn Thein, Inle Lake, Myanmar
shwe inn thein
Shwe Inn Thein Pagodas, Inn Thein, Inle Lake, Myanmar
floating gardens inle lake
floating gardens, Inle Lake, Myanmar
market nyaung shwe
morning market in Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar
bicycle nyaung shwe
cycling through the countryside between Nyaung Shwe and Maing Thauk, Myanmar
maing thauk
floating village of Maing Thauk, Myanmar
shwe oo min paya
Shwe Oo Min Paya cave temple, Kalaw, Myanmar
pinmagon monastery
Pinmagon Monastery, Kalaw, Myanmar
yangon traffic
traffic and wires, Yangon, Myanmar 
yangon apartments
old colonial buildings, Yangon, Myanmar
yangon 19 street
19th St grilled street food, Chinatown, Yangon, Myanmar
shwedagon pagoda
Shwedagon Pagoda (1372), Yangon, Myanmar

4 comments:

  1. beautiful pictures!
    that's why i love to blog too. I read my old posts and i enjoy them :) ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also happy you're back! And those pictures look really amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...